Skip to main content

Advice From The 80s - Part 2

Welcome to Part 2 of Advice From The 80s. For those that might have missed part 1, you can find it here

Just a quick reminder of how Advice From The 80s started:

We recently bought a house, and when I was unpacking some boxes in our bedroom, I came across one of my keepsakes boxes. In the box was a red bag with a blue border and white polka dots. Written on the front of the bag is the words: Mom's Bag Of Tricks. Inside the pouch are big index cards with advice and tricks my mom's friends and family wanted her to have. The cards all have dates on them, and they were given to her right after she had me, her first kid. 

I thought it would be fun to go through these cards and post the advice on my blog to see if we follow any of the advice and tricks today, over 30 years later.

Without further ado: Mom's Bag Of Tricks - Advice From The 80s - Part 2

(Note: I am not going to edit what the people say. I will type it how they wrote it.)


Card 5:
Ignore everyone else's advice and trust your own instincts. No one knows your child like you do.

My thoughts/reaction: I love this piece of advice. Asher is our first child, and we have asked for advice or opinions in different situations. But in the end, no one knows your child like you do. No one knows what is normal for him/her. You are around them every day. Trust your instincts. If something feels off, call your doctor. Your pediatrician/pediatrician's office is there to answer any questions, even if they seem small or stupid. Trust yourself.


Card 6: 

When they wake up (nap or night) always be happy and greet them with hugs and kisses. They will be in a good mood (and if your not in a good mood "fake" it because they'll soon change your mood).


My thoughts/reaction: I am not sure if I have ever faked being happy when I go and get Asher up from his nap or first thing in the morning. Just seeing him always puts a smile on my face. He is so happy and carefree, and it just rubs off on me. 

Card 7: 

Join or start a babysitting club. I joined one & moved & started one & they saved my life. Often mothers are better sitters than teens or older women, usually! Especially when your mother doesn't live nearby. It doesn't cost anything - just time & organization & trading sitting.


My thoughts/reaction: I have never heard of a babysitting club, besides the book series. Are those still around? Do people still use them? I am curious now.


Card 8:

1. Don't let him slow you down - take him with you and enjoy showing him off.

2. Do whatever you want for your child.

3. Use praise more than "no-no's."


My thoughts/reaction: The Coronavirus has changed how we do things. There are so many things that I want to do with him that we can't/won't do right now. We have found ourselves doing my pick up orders at the store or grocery store, if possible. But when I need to run to the store and grab something last minute, I take him with me. He loves going places and seeing new people. He also loves to help me around the house. One of his favorite toys is a toy vacuum cleaner. We just unboxed the toy this week at our new home, and he has taken it everywhere since unboxing it: the back porch, the driveway, the backyard, and the front yard. He loves helping us with chores. I hope that never changes, but I know it will one day.


Card 9:

Get plenty of rest.


My thoughts/reaction: I know this can be hard, but it is important. When reading this, I think about sleep, but I also think about mental health too. Being a full-time father is hard. I never really knew everything that my mom did when she stayed home with us, but it is a lot. Yes, make sure you are getting enough sleep, but make sure that you are ok mentally. Those who don't stay at home with a kid or kids will not truly understand how exhausting it can be; it is also very rewarding. Find some time for yourself. Find time to read, play a game, get a haircut, or whatever can to help you unwind. Don't get overwhelmed. Don't get burnt out.

I hope that you enjoyed Part 2 of Advice From The 80s. Let me know what you think of the advice given to my mom when she had me. Do you agree or disagree with it? What thoughts crossed your mind? Let me know in the comments below.

You can also find Diary Of A Full-Time Father on:
Facebook

Instagram

Twitter

Comments