Skip to main content

Advice From The 80s - Part 1

I'm sorry that I have been so quiet lately. We closed on our first house on August 20, and since then, we were getting ready to move. We were only moving 40 minutes up the road, so we took boxes of stuff over to our new house almost every day. 


When I was unpacking some boxes in our bedroom, I came across one of my keepsakes boxes. I decided to take a small break from unpacking and go through the box to see what was inside. I found a baseball I got signed by John Smoltz after the Atlanta Braves won the World Series, the program from my first Jacksonville Jaguars game, senior pictures, a flag flown over the capital in honor of me receiving the rank of Eagle Scout, and much more. 


I then found a red bag with a blue border and white polka dots. Written on the front of the bag were the words: Mom's Bag Of Tricks. Inside the bag were big index cards with advice and tricks that her friends and family wanted her to have. The cards all had dates on them, and they were given to her right after she had me, her first kid. 



I wanted to go through the cards and read them, but I decided that it would be more fun to post the advice and tricks on my blog and see how the advice holds up, over thirty years later, and if we are still using any of the tricks. I am going to post a few of the cards once or twice a week. Feel free to comment below with what you think about the advice and tricks, and feel free to share any advice or tricks that you might have for other parents.


Without further ado: Mom's Bag Of Tricks - Advice From The 80s

(Note: I am not going to edit what the people say. I will type it how they wrote it.)


Card 1:

"Don't ever tell anyone that you will do it differently with Preston because you have had the benefit and experience of seeing other parents handle their children. As Preston grows older and becomes his own person you may find yourself swallowing some of your words in the interest of your child."


Card 2:

"Never compare your child to others. Treat him as an individual."


Card 3:

"Never leave him uncovered when changing his diaper, he may spray all over.


Card 4A:

"Prior to immunizations give a dose of baby Tylenol to ease pain & fever. 

Do all you can do in the time you have to do it."


Card 4B:

"Use distraction as part of your disciplining procedure. For example, if Preston grabs your china figurines, replace it with a toy to change his mind.

Read everything about babies and chose how you'll do it

After naps between 3-4 pm - give a long bath with lots of pouring & splashing toys."

My thoughts as I read the cards:


Card 2:

In a way, this is some advice that I needed to read. I seem to see how far ahead or behind other babies are to Asher. I have asked Abby about his progression and have worried and wondered if he is where he needs to be. But, in the end, it doesn't matter. It has never mattered to us. He is our son, and we will love him regardless. He is perfect for us.


Card 3: 

So true. So very true.


Card 4A:

We try to remember to give him some baby Tylenol before he gets shots.


I wonder with the second part what the person thought when they wrote it. "Do all you can do in the time you have to do it." I wonder if they are talking about tasks or chores that you want to get done during the day. I wonder if they mean to do everything you can in the time that you have.


But, I also wonder if they mean: do all you can with your son in the time you have to do it. Not to get morbid or anything, but it seems that many people have been dying lately, and it is a reminder that none of us know when our time will come. Do what I can with Asher while I still have the time. 


People also say things like, "They grow up so fast." "If you blink, you'll miss it." I can't help but think that I need to do what I can with Asher while I have the time. I am not going to get a redo. Sometimes there are tasks that I need to get done during the day. I try my hardest to do them when he naps. I also need to remember that some stuff can wait. The laundry has been in the basket to be folded for a few days now. One more day won't hurt. We still have boxes to unpack from the move, but I won't get this time back. Maybe try to unpack one or two boxes during his nap. This time is precious, and as Aerosmith sing:

I don't wanna miss a thing. 

I don't want to look back when I am older and regret that I didn't spend enough time with Asher or not give him enough attention. 


Dang, that got a little deep. Sorry about that. Onward.


Card 4B:

I can't help but wonder, has anyone done a bath in the middle of the afternoon? For us, that is something we do right before bedtime. I have never heard this piece of advice before.

I hope that you enjoyed Part 1 of Advice From The 80s. Let me know what you think of the advice given to my mom when she had me. Do you agree or disagree with it? What thoughts crossed your mind? 

Comments