Skip to main content

Not A Sound by Heather Gudenkauf - Book Review

Before I even finished The Overnight Guest by Heather Gudenkauf, I knew I  wanted to read another one of her novels. I decided on Not A Sound.



----
Synopsis:

When a tragic accident leaves nurse Amelia Winn deaf, she loses everything that matters—her job, her husband, David, and her stepdaughter, Nora. Now, two years later and with the help of her hearing dog, Stitch, she is finally getting back on her feet. But when she discovers the body of a fellow nurse in the dense bush by the river, deep in the woods near her cabin, she is plunged into a disturbing mystery that could shatter the carefully reconstructed pieces of her life all over again.

As clues begin to surface, Amelia finds herself swept into an investigation that hits all too close to home. But how much is she willing to risk in order to uncover the truth and bring a killer to justice? 

----

As with The Overnight Guest, this story mainly focuses on a murder and there is not a whole lot of character development. This book takes place over a short time, you don't change much as a person during a short timeframe anyway. You will learn about some of the character's past and some of the baggage that they carry, but the main focus is on the murder. 

Amelia Winn might be my favorite character that Heather Gudenkauf has created. I really enjoyed reading a murder mystery from the point of view of a deaf person. Being deaf, she relies on her service dog, reading lips, sign language, and some technology that has been created for the deaf. I feel that in some murder mystery stories, the main character will just happen to overhear a conversation that they shouldn't or something like that. Not in this story. There are times when she tells you that she doesn't know what someone said, either because they were talking too fast, she couldn't see their lips, or they were too far away for her to read their lips. There is also no dumb luck when it comes to finding clues. I really enjoyed that about this book. The way that Gudenkauf wrote Amelia and her struggles was great. I could really feel what she was feeling and it made me think, what would I do if I was deaf and in that situation. 

There were a few things in the book that had me thinking, that wouldn't happen. The killer did do something to the person found murdered that I feel like a coroner would have found. I could be wrong though since I do not have any experience in that field. There was also some information that some characters decided not to share with the police and I don't quite understand why. I felt like a normal person would not have withheld that information from the police. 

I am not sure if Heather Gudenkauf does this in every book, but with the two that I have read, she doesn't have a huge list of characters. You know that one of them will be the killer, but who? Gudenkauf is really good at throwing red herrings at you during the story, just to make you suspect certain characters. I did start to wonder about a certain character during the book. Their actions made me think they were hiding something, which of course they were.

But none of that takes away from the enjoyment of the story. You know that the killer will be revealed near the end and you know that our main character will live. The journey getting there though is really enjoyable. In a way, it is kind of like Hallmark movies. You know in those movies that girl meets boy. Girl and boy have a fight and break up. Girl and boy both realize that they can't live without each other and will marry by the end of the movie. But it is the stuff that happens in the movie that draws a crowd. 

Heather Gudenkauf is also really good at not making the story too complicated. It seems that a lot of new mystery/thriller writers try to put in some crazy twist that you don't see coming and want to try to blow your mind. Sometimes it works and other times it doesn't. Heather Gudenkauf's stories aren't complicated. Her writing style pulls you into the story and keeps you turning the pages. She ends chapters in a way that makes you want to read more, making the stories hard to put down. When the motives behind the killer are revealed, they make sense. They are realistic and not totally out in left-field. Her stories make sense and are fun to read. 

Last year, I discovered a couple authors who I know I will continue to buy their books. This year, Heather Gudenkauf has joined that list. I enjoy reading a Heather Gudenkauf story. I know that I will be getting a story that is hard to put down.  I know I have only read two of her novels, but both of the novels I have finished in three days, that is fast for me since I deal with a toddler and an infant all day. I find myself staying up late at night to read just a little more. I own The Overnight Guest and Not A Sound is one that I want to add to my bookshelves.

If you enjoy a good mystery/thriller, I highly recommend this book. If you like stories that aren't overly complicated, I recommend this book. I will probably be recommending her books to people in book groups that I am in online. So pick it up and enjoy.

Not A Sound by Heather Gudenkauf - 4.25 / 5 Stars

Comments