Skip to main content

A Time To Kill - Book Review

I have recently been going through a reading slump. I, along with many readers, hate going through a reading slump, especially when my TBR (to be read) pile is full of books that sound so good. I tried reading a few from my TBR, but they didn't grab me. I wanted to have an excuse to put down my XBOX remote and pick up a book instead. I wanted to read so bad. I didn't know what. I am a big fan of sci-fi and fantasy, but they weren't doing it for me. 

One day while in Costco, I found myself in their book section. I always check out a store's book section, no matter how big or small it might be. While I was looking at the books that Costco had to offer, I saw a book whose cover kind of grabbed my attention: John Grisham. A Time For Mercy.


The synopsis sounded interesting:

______

Clanton, Mississippi. 1990. Jake Brigance finds himself embroiled in a deeply divisive trial when the court appoints him attorney for Drew Gamble, a timid sixteen-year-old boy accused of murdering a local deputy. Many in Clanton want a swift trial and the death penalty, but Brigance digs in and discovers that there is more to the story than meets the eye. Jake’s fierce commitment to saving Drew from the gas chamber puts his career, his financial security, and the safety of his family on the line.

In what may be the most personal and accomplished legal thriller of John Grisham’s storied career, we deepen our acquaintance with the iconic Southern town of Clanton and the vivid cast of characters that so many readers know and cherish. The result is a richly rewarding novel that is both timely and timeless, full of wit, drama, and—most of all—heart.

Bursting with all the courthouse scheming, small-town intrigue, and stunning plot twists that have become the hallmarks of the master of the legal thriller, A Time for Mercy is John Grisham’s most powerful courtroom drama yet.

There is a time to kill and a time for justice. Now comes A Time for Mercy.

______

I put the book in my shopping cart, but I needed to know how many books John Grisham had written with this character? A quick Google search told me that this is the third book with Jake Brigance. The reading order is:

A Time To Kill
Sycamore Row
A Time For Mercy

With the book in my cart, what I needed to do next became apparent: I would stop at Barnes and Noble on the way home and pick up the other two books. I didn't care what they were about; I wanted to read A Time For Mercy, which meant I needed to read A Time To Kill and Sycamore Row.

Once I got home with the other two books and put our son down for a nap, I decided to read A Time To Kill.

The synopsis for A Time To Kill is:

______

Before The Firm and The Pelican Brief made him a superstar, John Grisham wrote this riveting story of retribution and justice. In this searing courtroom drama, best-selling author John Grisham probes the savage depths of racial violence as he delivers a compelling tale of uncertain justice in the small southern town of Clanton, Mississippi.  

The life of a ten-year-old girl is shattered by two drunken and remorseless young men. The mostly white town reacts with shock and horror at the inhuman crime. Until her black father acquires an assault rifle—and takes justice into his own outraged hands.

For ten days, as burning crosses and the crack of sniper fire spread through the streets of Clanton, the nation sits spellbound as young defense attorney Jake Brigance struggles to save his client's life...and then his own...

______

If you look on Amazon, you will see that A Time To Kill has 4,914 reviews and is averaging 4.6 out of 5 stars. Good synopsis and great reviews, sounding good so far.

I was not ready for this book was going to put me through. This book is a roller coaster and has many twists and turns that I didn't see coming. Not only are there twists and turns in the story, but there are parts that will make you laugh, frustrate you, and make you smile. There are characters you will love and others you hate. This book will make you run through different emotions.

I find it interesting that the synopsis makes it sound like most of this book revolves around a ten-day trial. That is not the case. This book revolves around a couple of months; the ten-day trial is only the last 130 pages or so (of the mass market paperback). There is so much stuff leading up to the trial, but I don't want to mention too much and ruin the book. This book takes place in the 1980s in Mississippi, and there is still plenty of racial tension in this small town. In the book, you have the NAACP, the KKK, a black sheriff in a predominantly white town, a white lawyer representing a black defendant, death threats, intimidation, excellent courtroom drama, and so much more.

You know that feeling you get when you hear a song for the first time, and it is just an amazing piece of music? Do you remember that feeling and how you want others to listen to it and see their reaction to it? You want to see them experience the same emotions you did. That is how this book is. There are so many things that happen around this trial, but it is just a ride that you need to experience for yourself. I honestly do not want to give any of this book away at all. I want you to experience the laughs, the frustrations, and the concerns I felt when reading. 

John Grisham's A Time To Kill was published in 1989. I might be a little late to the party, but I am glad that I read it. This book fell into my lap at a time when I wanted to read. I had not read a book for months but desperately wanted to. I wanted a story that was hard to put down. A Time To Kill checked all the boxes for me. I found myself trying to find time to read. I would read it out loud to Asher as we ate breakfast. Usually, when Asher naps, I do some housework, nap, or play XBOX. But for the past week, I found myself reading more than playing games. Instead of watching YouTube or scrolling social media before bed, I found myself reading a chapter or two.

With all the good things I mentioned, there have to be some bad. Right? There are. A Time To Kill isn't without its flaws, but the flaws do not outweigh the good. There are some small things that get mentioned in the book that do not get answered, or you do not see the resolution. It would have been nice to those things get a small chapter at the end.

There are some great authors out there, but there are not many authors that can immediately pull you into a story and keep you entertained from beginning to end. Of the authors that I have read, only John Grisham, Brandon Sanderson, Daniel M. Ford, Jonathan Ballagh, and Sylvain Neuvel have been able to do that.

After reading this, I am excited to read more Grisham, legal thrillers, and maybe some true crime books. There are several legal thrillers that I have to read, but I will probably continue the series and read Sycamore Row next. The bar has been set high by A Time To Kill, but I am sure that Grisham can clear the bar with no problem.

Overall, I give A Time To Kill 4.75 Stars.

The only reason it is not more is I wish he would have answered those few things he mentioned that didn't get a resolution.


Comments