Skip to main content

Mustache Baby - Accidental Find To A Favorite Story

The love of reading is something that we want to instill in Asher. Reading is something that Abby and I both love. To help jumpstart Asher's book collection, for his baby shower, we asked people to bring a baby book instead of a card. 

My parents have a bookstore near their house called 2nd & Charles, a store that sells new and used books. Unfortunately, we do not have one near us, so I always like to make a trip to that store whenever I visit my parents.

When Asher was about a month old, we decided to take him to visit his only great-grandparent that was still alive. We stayed with my parents during this trip, you know I had to check out 2nd & Charles.

I don't remember much about this trip to 2nd & Charles, except for one book, Mustache Baby. How did I find Mustache Baby? I was in their baby section going through the books, and I decided to head over to the clearance tables. When going around the tables, I saw a stack of books next to the table...Mustache Baby. The cover and title intrigued me, so I flipped it over and read:





"When Billy was born, his family noticed something odd. He had a mustache.

Now all his family has to do is figure out if it's a good-guy mustache...or a bad-guy mustache." 


Good-guy mustache? Bad-guy mustache? I had to know more. I then did what most adults probably do with kid books, read it right there in the store.


"When Baby Billy was born, his family noticed something odd: He had a mustache.

'What does this mean? his mother asked.

'Well, it depends, the nurse said. You'll have to wait and see whether it is a good-guy mustache or a bad-guy mustache.'"


The story tells us how, at first, Billy has a good-guy mustache. We find out things he did with his good-guy mustache (and his mustache changes style with each thing): tamed a bucking bronco, became a cowboy and protected his cattle, cared for injured animals, became a ringleader, a Spanish painter, a sword fighter, an aviator, a karate master, and a police officer.


As adults know, a kid's attitude can change by the minute. Billy's mustache started to change, and it became a bad-guy mustache. He became a cat burglar, a cereal criminal (yes, spelled like the food), a train robber, and a bank robber. 


As it happens with most bad-guys, Billy gets caught and thrown into "jail," aka his crib. While in jail, Billy had time to think about his bad behavior because he was in jail for "ages and ages." Billy wished that his bad-guy mustache would go away. 


Finally, Billy's mom comes and busts him out of jail.


"'There, there,' she said. 'Everybody has a bad-mustache day now and then.'

'Let's dry your tears,' his father said. 'The new neighbors have a baby your age. He's coming over to play.'"


Then the doorbell rings, and...I'm not going to spoil the ending for you. I'm not that mean. 


There are currently four books in the series: Mustache BabyMustache Baby Meets His MatchArrr, Mustache Baby, and A Mustache Baby Christmas. Of the four, Arrr, Mustache Baby is the only one not available in board book, I hope that changes. The author has announced that she is working on a fifth Mustache Baby book: Good Night Mustache Baby.


If you are going to read these books, I would recommend reading them in order first, or else some of the surprises in later books won't be surprises. I do find myself reading Mustache Baby or Mustache Baby Meets His Match the most. Arr, Mustache Baby was good, but it wasn't my favorite, and A Mustache Baby Christmas is, of course, a seasonal book.


I love this series. This series is one that both adults and kids will enjoy. The humor in it is perfect, and everyone will laugh at the things Billy does. Adults may laugh a little more, but not because there is any inappropriate humor like there can be in some kid movies. Mustache Baby is a good, clean, and entertaining story.


Head into your local bookstore, buy this book, sit down with your little one, and enjoy the adventures of Mustache Baby. It is a good time for all.


Mustache Baby - 5/5 Dad Stars 

Mustache Baby Meets His Match - 5/5 Dad Stars

Arr, Mustache Baby - 4/5 Dad Stars

A Mustache Baby Christmas - 5/5 Dad Stars

Comments